Does your exterior brick inspection reveal signs of weather wear and other types of deterioration? Spring is the right time to get some expert advice. Historic DC homes require a particular expertise for brick restoration and mortar repair. You will need to find a masonry contractor in DC who has the appropriate expertise.
The right masonry contractor will have expertise in traditional tuckpointing methods and materials, as well as knowledge of historic buildings and neighborhoods. Here are some tips to help you get started:
Research The Field of Potential Contractors.
While the need for brick restoration and repair is often visually evident, a reliable contractor is needed to determine the cause and extent of damage and the right way to remedy it. Expertise and experience with historic homes and old brick are critical.
- Ask friends and neighbors to recommend contractors they have used for work on their historic brick homes. Ask about the timeliness, cost, and quality of the work done.
- Visit the websites of local masonry contractors to verify specializations and credentials. You want your contractor to have both expertise and experience in historic DC brick mortar repair.Your historic brick building’s mortar joints must be restored using traditional methods and materials in order to preserve the original appearance and structural integrity.
- Check online customer reviews for selected contractors. Look for projects that are similar to yours. You will usually get a good idea of their reputations from recent customer reviews. Specific things to consider: Was the work completed on time? Did you get regular updates? Was the crew professional? Were problems corrected?
Contact and Interview Before You Make a Selection.
Once you have narrowed the list of potential historical brick and masonry contractors, contact each directly. Describe the problem, or if possible specify the type of work that needs to be done. Most contractors will provide an onsite evaluation of the damage, the extent of the restoration, and cost estimates free of charge. If your live in a Historic District, there will be regulations about how repointing can be done.
Here are some other questions you can ask:
- How long will it take and when can you start?
- Do you help with the permits?
- Will there be dust inside my house and is it hazardous? If so, how will you protect my family?
- How much will my neighbors be disturbed? Will you notify them and offer protection to them as well?
- How many crew members and what is the work schedule? Will the same crew stay on the job from start to finish? If needed, will they work overtime?
- Does the crew complete a daily cleanup of the site?
- Can I look at examples of your work?
When you hire the right DC masonry contractor for your historic brick home, the restoration will increase your property’s value and ensure that it will last for decades and generations to come.
Renaissance Development, masonry contractors in Washington DC, specializes in brick restoration and mortar repair using traditional methods (tuckpointing) and materials. Contact us for a free site visit and project quote.