If you are the manager of a brick apartment building or condominium in DC, you pay attention to signs of deterioration in the brick facade. Maybe you're dealing with one of the classic old structures. Historic buildings require a particular expertise for brick restoration and mortar repair. You will need to find a masonry contractor in DC who has the appropriate expertise.
Owners of historic brick buildings want any repair or restoration done in a manner that preserves the classic elegance and integrity of the property. The right masonry contractor will have expertise in traditional tuckpointing methods and materials, as well as knowledge of historic buildings and neighborhoods. Here are some tips to help you get started:
Research The Field of Potential Contractors.
While the signs of deterioration are often visually evident, a reliable contractor is needed to determine the cause and extent of damage and the right way to remedy it. Expertise and experience with historic buildings and old brick are critical.
- Contact your networks - ask other building managers to recommend contractors they have used for work on their historic brick buildings. Experience with multiple dwelling and other institutional structures is relevant. Ask about the timeliness, cost, and quality of the work done.
- Visit the websites of local masonry contractors to verify specializations and credentials. You want your contractor to have both expertise and experience in historic DC brick mortar repair.Your historic brick building’s mortar joints must be restored using traditional methods and materials in order to preserve the original appearance and structural integrity.
- Check online customer reviews for selected contractors. Look for projects that are similar to yours. You will usually get a good idea of their reputations from recent customer reviews. Specific things to consider: Was the work completed on time? Did you get regular updates? Was the crew professional? Were problems corrected?
Contact and Interview Before You Make a Selection.
Once you have narrowed the list of potential historical brick and masonry contractors, contact each directly. Describe the problem, or if possible specify the type of work that needs to be done. Most contractors will provide an onsite evaluation of the damage, the extent of the restoration, and cost estimates free of charge. Here are some other questions you can ask:
- How long will it take and when can you start?
- Do you help with the permits?
- Will there be dust inside the building? How extensive and what measures are taken to minimize the inconvenience.
- How much will the residents be disturbed?
- How many crew members and what is the work schedule? If needed, will they work overtime?
- Does the crew complete a daily cleanup of the site?
- Can I look at examples of your work?
When you hire the right DC masonry contractor for your tuckpointing project, the restoration will increase your historic building's value and ensure that it will last for decades and generations to come.
Renaissance Development, masonry contractors in Washington DC, specializes in brick restoration and mortar repair using traditional methods (tuckpointing) and materials. Contact us for a free site visit and project quote.